viernes, 22 de abril de 2011

The mystery of who I am.

Turning around the sunlit corner, the stroller wheels bumbled up and down the cricks and crannies on the broken sidewalk. The birds cut through the morning silence, screaming for rain water to satisfy their thirst. A soft hot wind kissed my cheeks, and the smell of the last dry days reminded me that the beating sun was worth every second. It was "Holy Friday", an opportunity to have a break from normal routine, and the weekend following was just like every other weekend. It implied family time, grocery shopping, church on Sunday and hopefully a nap or two. The smell of summer danced around the drying grass, and the desire to devour miel de chiverre, pan casero, fresco de mango, and rice pudding flooded my mouth as Joseph, the dog and I ventured towards home.


But my Mom's words from her last email kept echoing in my head, that we would "enjoy our Easter weekend". Amongst the spiderwebs of recollection, I tried to catch a glimpse of what Easter used to imply when I was younger. It was almost like that part of me didn't exist anymore. When did I forget? Time transpired and hid the past under years when all those traditions and customs were exchanged for others. It´s been eight years almost since I came in obedience to serve in a land that without knowing would become my home away from Home.


I had no expectation for this weekend, no family tradition, no warm fuzzy, no special plans. When did it all that change for me to find this way the normal way and not the other way around?


In cross-cultural adaptation, there comes a time (sometimes multiple) when your values are challenged and you redefine who you really are. Depending on the person's experiences with other world visions and viewpoints, a monumental point lies on the conscious reality that "my way isn´t the only way, nor is my way always right". On one side of the coin, a part of me that will never be erased is the love and effort my parents invested in creating positive expectations for us as childrensurrounding certain holidays. Easter weekend implied special church services, certain lyrics, new Sunday dresses, painting eggs, the smell of spring, irises and daffodils, easter egg hunts around the back and front yards, easter baskets full of surprises from the easter bunny, and a special outing to a family restaurant. And who could forget Mommy´s flowers from Daddy, and the battle to pin the crossage on her before church. Right before church there was always the family photo, usually with one or two of us indisposed to smile. All of this swirled around celebrating Jesus´ resurrection and His dwelling in us after dying on the cross.


That used to be the way. The only way it always was. The "right" way. Then God allowed me to see another reality to the same dates in a Latin American spectrum: family reunions, food coming out the ears, trips to the rivers and the beach, hot blue skies, processions, everybody scurring at the last minute to celebrate, religious movies on tv, and constant murmurings about semana santa. Little by little, the former expectations deteriorated into broken pieces that eventually were all over the floor with the new pieces in the name of tradition. Which would I pick up? Which would I throw out? Which would be part of new tradition?


So now our family is in a growing point: to create the customs and traditions we wish to inherit our children. We are not just one color, nor two, but a myriad of pieces that now have the opportunity to become our family´s.

Part of our inheritence to our children is to belong to a church body of loving Christians with whom we can celebrate God´s Word and a relationship with our Hevaenly Father through the sacrifice of the Son of God, Jesus Christ. While we were yet sinners, Chirst died for us. God so loved this world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. If we confess our sins He is faithful and just the forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. For it is by grace we have been saved through faith. These truths were written so we may be saved and restaured to our original purpose, and that our children, whether spiritual or biological, may also know Him and make Him known.

May we seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all other things will be added by He Who is the One who defines who I am and Where I am from and Where I am going.

So as a family we decided to come home after church and eat a chicken dish together as a family, when a dear family close to our heart invited us to an Easter lunch with their good friends and contacts. What a joyful surprise to share the joy we have in Chirst Jesus with those we love and we have near. May you remember who you are, irregardless of the circumstances.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario